Which Type of Tummy Tuck Do I Need?
Posted April 01, 2022 in Abdominoplasty / Tummy tucks
4 Minute Read:
Many prospective patients may know what plastic surgery results they want, but they may not know exactly what procedure (or technique within that procedure) is best for them. A perfect example of this is tummy tuck surgery (abdominoplasty).
Many men and women want to revitalize their abdominal aesthetic and give themselves more toned contours with an abdominoplasty; however, they may not realize that there are different types of the tummy tuck procedure.
What Is a Tummy Tuck?
Tummy tuck surgery is a cosmetic procedure that helps remove excess fat and sagging skin from the midsection, while also tightening the abdominal muscles and skin to give you a more defined tummy. This will allow you to have a tummy that looks more like your favorite celebrities.
Determining Your Tummy Needs
Whether from age, lifestyle, or life events (pregnancy/childbirth or weight loss), many men and women experience sagging skin and excess fat in their abdomen. If this is the case for you, then a tummy tuck can help give you the sculpted midsection that you desire.
There are three different types of tummy tuck surgery available to you. The length of the surgery and anesthesia used is dependent on which technique is performed.
Below is a run-down of the three types of tummy tucks so that you can better understand which variation is right for you.
Traditional Tummy Tuck
Traditional tummy tuck surgery is used for patients with mild to moderate sagging skin in their midsection. This procedure is performed under general anesthesia and generally takes two to three hours to complete.
- After the anesthesia has been administered, Dr. Gallas will make an incision just above your pubic area that stretches from hip to hip.
- Another incision may be made around your navel, as well.
- Liposuction may be used to remove subcutaneous fat from the area.
- Dr. Gallas will tighten the abdominal muscles with internal sutures.
- Excess skin will be removed, and then the remaining skin will be tightened.
- If needed, Dr. Gallas will reposition the belly button.
- Lastly, the incisions will be closed, and’ll be ready to begin your recovery.
Mini Tummy Tuck
Mini tummy tuck surgery is usually performed under local anesthesia and takes anywhere from one to two hours to complete. This procedure is used for men and women with mild sagging skin and fat in the abdomen.
- The incision for a mini tummy tuck is made along the bikini line, just above the pubic area. Unlike the incision made for the other types of tummy tucks, a mini tuck incision is only about four to eight inches in length.
- With a mini tummy tuck, the belly button is not repositioned, which means that there is no incision made around the navel.
- Liposuction may be used to remove any stubborn fat in the area before the muscles are tightened and excess skin is removed.
- Since this procedure is used on patients needing mild correction, only a small amount of skin will be removed.
- The remaining skin will be tightened, and the incisions will be closed.
Extended Tummy Tuck
An extended tummy tuck is used for patients with extensive sagging skin in their midsection.
While addressing excess fat and sagging skin in the abdomen, an extended tummy tuck also helps correct the flanks (love handles) and lower back. This procedure is commonly used for patients who have lost significant amounts of weight.
An extended tummy tuck is performed under general anesthesia and usually takes three to five hours to be completed. This procedure may be combined with an upper or lower body lift.
- This type of procedure is similar to a traditional tummy tuck; however, the incision is longer than with a traditional tummy tuck to allow for more correction. Unlike with a traditional tummy tuck, the incision made for extended tummy tuck surgery wraps around the patient’s back. Another incision is made around the navel to reposition the belly button.
- After the incision is made, liposuction is used to remove fat from the area (including the flanks and lower back).
- The underlying muscles will be tightened with internal sutures, skin will be removed, and the remaining skin will be tightened.
- Lastly, the belly button will be addressed.
What Can I Expect After My Tummy Tuck Surgery?
Whether you have a traditional tummy tuck, mini tummy tuck, or extended tummy tuck, you will be able to feel more confident with your new body contours. You will have a more defined midsection that you’ll be excited to show off. Feel free to take a look at the gallery on Dr. Gallas’s website to see what kind of results you can expect!
Do You Have Any Questions?
If you want to know more about the tummy tuck options available and to schedule your consultation with Dr. Gallas Plastic Surgery in Katy, Texas, call 281-646-1114 or fill out our online form here.